Welcome to my website
I'm proud to represent the residents of Ipswich and the Somerset Region in Federal Parliament as member for the electorate of Blair.
On this website you'll find information on the work I do for Blair and the asssitance I can offer you as your local Federal member.
You can browse through my speeches and media releases and keep up to date with upcoming events.
Please don't hesistate to contact me if I can be of assistance with any Federal issue.
Labor to Boost Ipswich Motorway Funding
I am delighted that a Shorten Labor Government will match the Queensland Labor Government's $200 million commitment to the first stage of upgrading the Ipswich Motorway between Rocklea and Darra to tackle traffic congestion on Brisbane’s southside.
The project scope includes improvements to this 7km stretch including:
- Upgrading Ipswich Motorway from four to six lanes between Granard Road and Oxley Road
- New southern service road connection from Rocklea industrial precinct to the Oxley commercial and retail areas
- Seven new bridges, plus major culverts
- Suscatand Street intersection traffic signals
- Active transport improvements.
Dentists, Oral Health Alliance And Even the Government Agree: Turnbull’s Dental “Scheme” A $1 Billion Fraud
The verdict is in: the Turnbull Government’s attack on Labor’s Child Dental Benefits Scheme is a fraud.
The Australian Dental Association has denounced the Turnbull Government’s plans as “a smoke and mirrors” trick, while the National Oral Health Alliance point out the scheme amounts to a massive cut for those who need it most.
The Government says 10.5 million people including children will be eligible under the new scheme, but also states that only an extra 600,000 every year will be treated. That means people will get one treatment every 17 years, or else receive $40 per year for their care. And this 600,000 adults AND children is only 65% of the children alone being currently treated under the Child Dental Benefits Schedule
2015 Blair Volunteer Awards
On 9 November I was pleased to speak in Parliament to recognise the outstanding contribution of local volunteers to Ipswich and the Somerset region.
This diverse group of people are the life-blood of our community and keep our tuckshops, community groups, not-for-profit organisations and sporting clubs on track.
Volunteers don’t help out because they want thanks or reward; they do it because of a desire to be a part of their community and to provide opportunities for others in our schools, community groups and sporting clubs.
My latest Speeches
- Creating an Age-Friendly Nation - 29 April 2016
- Road Safety Remuneration Repeal Bill 2016 - 18 April 2016
- Ipswich Motorway - 3 March 2016
- Closing the Gap - Eight Years On - 22 February 2016
- Telecommunication Problems in Blair - 22 February 2016